News and Views from the 39 Essex Chambers Commercial and Construction Group
This month, the newsletter looks at the proper law of an arbitration agreement. Articles include:
- An overview of the proper law of arbitration agreements.
- A look at some recent English case law.
- The Singaporean position on arbitration agreements.
- French case law regarding arbitration agreements.
- Some thoughts on the various approaches to determining the proper law of an arbitration agreement.
This month the newsletter includes:
- An overview of the Bresco Electrical Services Ltd (In Liquidation) v Michael J Lonsdale (Electrical) Ltd case.
- A look at the recent decision of the Court of Appeal regarding section 44(2) of the Arbitration Act 1996, in which the Court confirmed that the court has a discretion to compel a non-party to a foreign arbitration to give evidence.
- An update on the UK Government’s COVID-19 Procurement advice.
- The first episode of ‘At Home Around the World’.
This month the newsletter takes a look at:
- Emerging trends from judgements related to COVID-19 handed down during lockdown.
- A critique of BNA v BNB & Anor  SGCA 84 and Kabab-JI S.A.L v Kout Food Group  EWCA Civ 6.
- A mind-map looking at the routes back to work for the construction industry.
- An analysis of the responses from arbitral institutions worldwide to COVID-19.
This month, the newsletter takes a look at:
- The effects of coronavirus on JCT contracts.
- A summary of the Government’s advice on procurement during the pandemic.
- Issues for landlords and tenants.
- An analysis of the European Commission’s Temporary Framework for dealing with COVID-19.