I have advised on and conducted many cases and disputes in the sports law area. Specific areas include:
- The dispute between the Welsh Rugby Union and the Regions about the financial relationship between them. Particularly in relation to internationals. This case settled shortly before trial in a considerable blaze of publicity.
- Cases about football transfers.
- Hearings at the Disciplinary Committee of the Jockey Club and the British Horseracing Authority.
My sports work has also meant that I have advised on many cases about sports ground and stadia. Some are referred to in my section on Construction. I was involved in disputes about venues including:
- National Stadium in Wales,
- Aintree Racecourse,
- Sunderland Football Ground (the Stadium of Light),
- Newcastle United (St. James Park),
- Leicester City.
This, in part, was why I applied to be Chairman of what was then called the Football Licensing Authority and, is now called, the Sports Ground Safety Authority. Whilst holding that public office I did not think it right to accept instructions in relation to any sports grounds.
However, that term of office has come to and end, and I am happy to accept instruction again in such cases, both in the UK and abroad.
I have particular expertise in the Green Guide and Multi-Use Stadia.